Friday, September 7, 2012

Quinoa Burgers

I do not have a great relationship with meatless Friday suppers. Its not that I mind not eating meat, but my husband is a meat lover to the extreme. So it is not exactly the most pleasant and heart warming experience to slave over a meal only to have him come home and moan and groan about the lovely "Friday supper". I guess its my fault, since I am not a huge fan of fish, and rarely buy it, even though every time I do we all enjoy it. So most of the time its pasta with tomatoes, or tuna melts. I guess I can't blame the guy for complaining...haha. Tonight I decided to try something different, although I was fairly certain it would not get a raving review from the husband. Anything "meatless" or "healthy" immediately has him very skeptical. But I tried anyway, and guess what he said?! "They're ok...." I'll take it! I even got his permission to make them again!

Quinoa Burgers
1 cup water
1/2 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large egg
2/3 cup cheddar cheese
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Combine water and quinoa in a medium sauce pan. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 min. Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 10 min. Fluff with fork and set aside to cool.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 5 min. Add the garlic, marjoram and oregano, set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the quinoa, onion mixture, cheese, oats and soy sauce. Scoop 1/2 cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 or 9 patties. Bake for 25 min, or until slightly browned and crispy.




No comments:

Post a Comment